From Clarence Adelbert Inman's letters to Mila Inman, 1937:

"I am not the Lord and I be dog-gone if I can tell you a thing that happened before I was born. I was told my Grandfather came from Connecticut. My Grandfather bought large farm, all weeds, and built a house on it. He cut the trees and made barrel staves and headings and barrel hoops and sold them to cooper shops and they made barrels. My Grandfather used what they called Sweep Power sawing up the trees. When my father was married my Grandfather built him a log cabin and as I understand the children were all born there. The cabin is gone but there is a hole in the ground where it stood and a long tree is growing in it. The factory my Grandfather had was torn down years ago and there is nothing in its place but the old well.

"Lewis' Corners is two miles east of Pember's Corners and my Grandfather's farm and saw mill was about one-half way between the two corners in the town of Granby. My brothers and sister and myself were all born at the Inman homestead and the log cabin that we later lived in was one-quarter of a mile from my Grandfather's on the same road.

"There are no Inmans around Oswego excepting our family. I think our folks originally came from England and I think from the complexion of some of them they got crossed up with the Indians after. The name Inman was an old English name.

"My folks came to Oswego when I was three years old and lived on Mercer Street on the east side of the river. My father was a cooper by trade, was foreman of a large cooper shop. When I was four years he went to the war and died one year later in the south and was buried there but my Grandfather put a stone in the cemetery on the Inman lot for his memory. After my father died my mother moved downtown on East First Street near Utica Street, we lived there for several years and I went to school on East Fourth, and at the age of seven I went to Indianapolis and lived for one year with my aunt, my father's sister.

"When I came back my mother was living on East Seventh Street and from there we moved to East Eighth Street. My mother worked for tailors, making clothes, then her eyesight gave out and then we moved to No. 5 West Fifth Street and mother kept boarders. We lived there for five years, then we moved to West Sixth Street and from there to West Mohawk and Eighth Street and my brother kept a meat market in the basement of the same house. From there we moved to West Ninth and Oneida Streets, one black from where my store now stands.

"There is where we lived when I married Ada M. Sinclair and our first baby was born three doors east of the store I now keep and we lived 53 happy years together and she died five years ago last May and no woman could take her place with me.

"Now about myself I started my first job when I was thirteen years old. That was in a book store for a man named Mr. Allen. I worked for him for eight years and the first three years I worked from seven a.m. to nine p.m., then I had to go to the Rail Road Station for the New York papers and take them back to the store, fold them and deliver them. I never got home until eleven o'clock. After that I was put in as clerk and another boy did my work. After eight years Mr. Allen had money left him and he went out of business. Then I went to work for Hamilton and Chamberlin, another book store. I worked for them for four years. Then I went into business for myself. I started a wood and coal yard at East Ninth and Bridge Streets. I kept that for eight years, then I sold that out and bought the grocery where I am now. It will be forty-five years this June, and that is that. I was 78 years old on the 28th of December and fit as a fiddle."