5th Generation

Robert Inman==Katherine Lowson
(a. 1658-1721) (a. 1662-1723)

ROBERT INMAN==KATHERINE LOWSON

(a. 1658-1721),

   Of North Pasture House or FeIlbeck (either or both), Harefield, and Bewerley, gentleman, and Son of Michael Inman, aforesaid.
   Bapt. Oct. 3, a. 1658, in the old Church at P B., marr. Aug. 11, 1678, at Burnsall, died Dec. 26, and was buried, Dec. 28, a. 1721, on the North side of the old Churchyard at P. B.
   Will dated Dec. 1, a. 1721, and proved Jan. 2, a. 1722/3, in the Exch. Ct.. of York; Bond (500) dated Oct. 2, a.1722.
   It is probable that Robert Inman was born at Fellbeck or at North Pasture House, and that, before completing his twentieth year, he wedded a bride of not yet seventeen; for a few years after his marriage, he appears to have resided at or near Fellbeck. But, about six years after that event, he is described (a. 1684) as of Harefield, and occurs as the purchaser of an estate, wholly or partly, in Fellbeck; the Will of his father, however, seems to shew that he had been permitted to settle in a house in the township of Bewerley in or before a. 1690, and be occurs as of Bewerley, gent., in a. 1692. In a. 1717, 1719, he is again described as of Harefield, so that it is likely that he left the township of Bewerley about the time of the marriage, a. 1715, of Christopher, his son and heir apparent, who occurs as of Bewerley, a. 1716 and onwards.
   For a period of his life, Robert Inman should have been a prosperous man; in a.1678, he married the daughter of the wealthy Christopher Lowson (who apparently left no sons), and, shortly afterwards, an estate (formerly Darnbrooke) at Bewerley was inherited. It is probable that, before or after his marriage, property at More Ing and Collo was settled by Michael Inman, and in Stonebeck (Up and ? Down) by Christopher Lowson.; see Wakef. Reg., L 171, 513, O. 23, a. 1716/7, 1717, 1719. The deaths (a. 1690/1, 1695, 1695) of his father, father-in-law, and mother should have left him opulent; that he made some display (livery, etc.) seems probable (from his Will). But he had five married daughters, and the estate was considerably reduced by their portions; the consequence almost certainly was that Christopher, his son, was in a position interior to what his father had held. The policy of Robert Inman seems to have been to dispose of outlying property, as at Stonebeck (Up and ? Down), North Pasture House, and Fellbeck; see under the latter heading for the portions of four of his daughters. He may have been the Robt. Hinman, gentleman, mentioned by Paver as a Land Tax Commissioner for Yorkshire; he erected a seat in the old Church at Pateley Bridge.

(a.1662-1723).

   Daughter of Christopher Lowson, of 'Parcival’ Hall (Appletreewick), Gouthwaite (Stonebeck Down), Woodhouse (Appletreewick), and Bewerley, gentleman, by Elizabeth, daughter of 'Mr. George Demayne’, of' Parcivall' Hall.
   Bapt. July 13, a. 1662, at BurnsaIl, married there Aug. 11, a. 1678, and was buried, July 2, (a. 1723, in the old Church at Pateley Bridge, 'under the Seat in the South Isle’, ‘being the Front of the Family Loft.
   Christopher Lowson is described as of 'Goughwitt' in the notice of his marriage (a. 1660/1); this may point to Gouthwaite Hall [Stonebeck Down], which is named in the Inventory of his goods. The (Inman) Family Mem. Book places his birth on Dec.28, a. 1634, and he may have been baptised at Middlesmoor; he was apparently of kin to the Lowsons* (*See Note E) of Bishop Monkton, see the Curation (a. 1676 or 1677) of Will. Lowson to said Christopher, described as of Parcivall Hall.
   This last named place seems to represent the 'Persevells ferme’ given by Peter Yorke (Will proved a. 1589) to his son Thomas for life; administration of the goods, which were beyond 10, of said Thos., described as of Percival Hall, was granted (under a. 1620) to his son, John Yorke of Gouthwaite. This last named John, a. 1637/8, left 'Parsivells farme', ?) or his right in it, to the then tenant, George Demaine (who is described as of Parcivall Hall' in a. 1646/7, and his heirs for ever, subject to a payment of 300; Christopher Lowson married the daughter of said George, and the latter's descendants, etc., seem to have sold it (Feet of Fines, a. 1695/6).
   As Christopher Lowson had disposed or some of his lands before his death, his Will is perhaps not so enlightening as it otherwise might have been; he had establishments at Bewerley, Percival Hall, 'Steane', and Woodhouse, and a lease of the Wood End farm in Barden. His death and Will date a. 1695, and his purse and apparel were then valued at 500; this amount, perhaps, a clerical error for 50. He married, a. 1693, Elizabeth Inman, widow, the mother of his daughters husband, and they lived in the township of Bewerley; possibly, to use the words of her great-grandson, Michael Inman (on another matter), this match 'had lucritave ends'. Christopher Lowson, (?) in trust for Sir Stephen Tempest, knt., took a mortgage of land, in Broughton, of Thos. Tempest, gent., and of Jane, his wife, a. 1667; he surrendered the premises in a. 1685/6 (Tempest MSS.).


He had four sons, and ten daughters; three of the sons, and five of the daughters, died within their age. The other five daughters were all married and portioned (v. under Bewerley and Fellbeck), and had issue; they were Mrs. Pyatt, Mrs. Horner, Mrs. Routh, Mrs. Richardson, and Mrs. Skaife (afterwards Mrs: Ross). In a deed of a. 1717 (see Hailstone MS., in 4. 28), there was a seal against the signature of Rob. Inman; it has been described as a Chevron between three stags statant - crest on a crown, a stag statant or passant, the crown on a helmet. There is also part of an armorial seal on the Will of Ro Inman; it has two, and had three, [? roses] on a chevron, with [?an oval floral design] in the place where a crest might be expected.
   His Will purports to give, devise, and bequeath to his son. Christopher, his heirs and assigns for ever, (1) all his messuages, lands, etc., in Bewerley, and (2) in Harefield and Peatfield (subject etc.; see below), with (3) all his other freehold, except the lands, etc., 'devised’ to his daughters Penelope (Bewerley) and Jane (FelIback); also to give him (4) his gaits in Appletreewick pasture, with (5) his share of the royalties in Hebden, with (6) all his other lands, etc., except the lands 'devised’ to said two daughters [Penelope, Jane], to hold to him 'his heirs & assignes for ever Subject nevertheless to ye several charges legacies & devises hereafter mentioned & expressed'. He gives to his wife, Katherine, a life annuity ‘to be paid out of my estate at Harefield & Peatfield’, in case she does not insist on ‘the thirds of all or any part of the freehold estate which I eithr now am or have heretofore been possessd of'; finally, he gives 'All the rest of my personal estate not herein or hereby bequeathed ordered or disposed of’ to his son, Christopher, whom he appoints sole executor. lt would seem that he had admitted his son to some estate in property at Bewerley before his own death; the names of both appeared re the sale of land, etc., at West Cliffe in a. 1719, and both were returned as Free Tenants in the Court Roll (Bewerley) recording the Court Baron held Oct. 20, a. 1721.
   To begin with BEWERLEY, it is likely that, on the death of his mother in a. 1695, Robert Inman would attain (1) to 'lands and tenements there, freehold, or leasehold, or both, which his father had held and (2) to freeholds (formerly Darnbrooke) which had been inherited there was also (3) the residue of that demise which had been made to Christopher Lowson there, and from which 120 was to be paid Next take the Feet of Fines (7 Will. III., Hil., a. 1695/6); these; apparently, shew him as a purchaser, from Seth and Eliz. Dickinson in this township, and as a seller in [? the parish of] Ripon. The former transaction was perhaps an addition to the estate from lands which had belonged to Chas. Darnbrooke, father of Eliz. Dickinson; the latter, possibly, a sale of lands etc., in Bewerley township, formerly of George Demaine. Again, a copy from a Deed (Wakefield Reg., C. 167) of a. 1710 appears to shew that Robert Inman had sold property in Bewerley; Leng Lease 10 acres, adjoining on the lands late (of) Robt. Inman, gentl., on the south, and on the lands of John Beckwith and Mary Beckwith on the north. Further, he had some interest in the estate of the said John (his second cousin, afterwards, Lt.-Col. Beckwith); see the copy from a Deed (Wakef. Reg., D. 145), dated Apr.11, a. 1711, which appears to have been a conveyance to Ro. Inman, perhaps by way of security, of all lands, etc., of John Beckwith in Bewerly. A copy (see W. Reg., Q. 259) from a Deed, dated June 22, a. 1721, names a yearly rent of 9.12.0, issuing and payable out of certain lands, etc.,. in Bewerley, late the estate John Beckwith, deceased, gent., and now in the possession of Christopher Clerke, and Ro. Inman, now or late of Bewerley, gent., of one of them, et.; the last named John Beckwith (the father of the Lt.-Col.) died in a. 1696. In a. 1738 (W. Reg., MM 43), Michael Inman had the closes called the Stackwood* (*See lines 6 a to 8 on p. iviii.), Bridge End Carr, Little Carr, and Middle Carr, the three last being close to the Bridge at Pateley Bridge; in a. 1696, the Will of John Beckwith mentions a parcel of an estate called Bridge End Car, the little Car, the middle Car, Stackwood, and two Rathes, then assigned to his mother, Mrs. Grace Richardson [Inman], for the remainder of a term (it she so long live), and orders them to he sold on her death, or at the end of the term. It is probable then that the four closes, which Michael Inman had in a. 1738, had been acquired by his grandfather Robert from the representatives of John Beckwith; I have not found that the Bewerley estate of a. 1738 included any other lands from the same source. In a. 1719; Ro. Inman, and his son, sold a messuage at West Cliffe; with about 10 acres, for 112, subject to a yearly payment of 6/; it subsequently happened. to return to Michael Inman. In a. 1721, Ro. Inman bequeathed to his daughter, Penelope, and to her husband Anthony Routh, their executors, etc., the tenement, and appts., at Calfhall, which he had purchased of Wi11. Darnbrooke; in a, 1738, they were let at 20, and 10/, p. a., and the property was then sold to Mrs. Man, the Rouths and Michael Inman being parties to the Indent. of Lease and Release (W. Reg, LL 365, 366). Apparently, the Will of Ro. Inman would shew that the interest of the Rouths, in CalfhalI was leasehold; nevertheless, Anth. Routh is described as a freeholder in the Bewerley Court Rolls, and the property conveyed to Mrs. Man in a. 1738 would seem to have been a freehold one.
   At and near FELLBECK there appear to have been several estates, see the Fountains Calls, a.1703-1709, 1710-1719, etc., etc. In the Call for a. 1703-1709 (Box 6, Parc. 39), under FeIbeck; Bollershaw, and North Pasture, are returned Henry Pyatt, iure ux., and John Horner, iure ux.; these were sons-in-law of Ro. Inman. I am indebted to the author of Nidderdale for an extract from a Swarcliff Hall MS.; it is given from a Rental of the Yorkshire estate of Mr. Braithwaite Otway, and dates a. 1711. North Pasture: Mr. John Horner and Mr. Pyott [?Tyott in MS.] per Mr. Inman, estate on ye long Leas, yearly rent, 15/; Widd. Pullaine on ye long Leas, ye yearly rent is 15/. Henry Pyott made his Will Oct. 1, and was buried on Oct. 4, a 1713; it purports to give and confirm to Mary, his wife, for life, 'all that moity of whatever my premisses at Northpasture’, and, after her death.; to his 'little son John Pyat’, his heirs (sic), etc. Alderman John Horner made his Will Jan. 30, and was buried Feb., a. 1750/1; he bequeaths all his right, title, and interest of, in, and to the lands and tenements which he has at North Pasture, and Collahill, to his eldest son John, his executors, etc. In the Fountains Call (Box 6, Parc. 43) for a. 1763-1767, under Felbeck or a mixed heading, Alderman John Terry of Ripon (with Matt Beecroft under Mr. Terry) replaces John Horner of Ripon, gent.; the latter had ordered all his real estate. lands, and tenements to be sold, and his Will was proved by 'John Terry, the Brother in Law’ on Apr. 25, a. 1763. In a.1773, John Pyatt, gent., grandson of the Henry named above, assigned his interest (an undivided fourth part) in North Pasture House and 'Collow Hill' to John Hutchinson, which latter, by an Indent. of Release (a. 1774), conveyed the undivided half of the premises to Sir Fletcher Norton; in the same year (1774), Alderman John Terry assigned the Horner interest (an undivided half) to said Norton. It would appear that Robert Inman of Bouthwaite, gent., he who died in a.1662, had taken a lease, it may be a very long one, of an estate at North Pasture House, probably not later than a. 1654, and that his grandson, Robert, who died in a. 1721, was in possession of the remainder of the term granted to his grandfather, or, at any rate himself held on a lease; this second Robert resided at Harefield and Bewerley, from which North Pasture House was some distance. His estate there seems to have furnished marriage portions for his two eldest surviving daughters: of course it may not have exactly corresponded with the holding there of his grandfather, Robert, some fifty years earlier. It has been assumed that the Inmans never had the freehold of the North Pasture House estate, and that, therefore, the portions of these daughters were only interests in land, etc.; the Assignments (a. 1773, 1774) by John Pyatt and Alderman Terry seem to shew how the remainder of a term for three parts of the estate was sold, the presumption being that John Hutchinson was in possession of the years for the other part (formerly of the Pyatts) in a. 1774, the whole property, from a measurement perhaps made about this time, being returned as 109 acres, 2 roods, 13 perches. The House is in the detached part of Sawley Township, but the estate was then in the townships of Hartwith and Sawley; three parts of it were held by descendants arid connections of Robert Inman, of Bewerley, up to a. 1773 and a. 1774, see Wakef. Reg (BQ. 680, BU. 72, BX. 159). Collo Hill, which was then pertained to it was in Brimham, in the township of Hartwith, but there was a Collo in Low Bishopside; it has not appeared whether Collo Hill belonged to North Pasture House in the time of the Robert Inman who died in a. 1662, but that seems likely. 'My lands called Collo' are mentioned in the Will dated a. 1573/4, of Wilfrid Pullen of North Pasture House, and the Collo, in Low Bishopside is named in a. 1740 (Wakef.. Reg., OO. 19); Collo is valued ) 1.9.2 by the year) separately from North Pasture House in the Fountains Valor of a. 1535. In a. 1714, Ro. Inman sold an estate at Fellbeck for 331 (W. Reg., H. 462); he excepted therefrom a close, called Lister Fairbank, then occupied by Thos. Kirkby of Fellbeck. In a. 1717, he conveyed, along with his wife and his son and heir apparent, to his daughter Abigail, and to her husband, Rib. Skaife, to uses, by way of marriage settlement, More Ing, and Collo in Low Bishopside; both, ni fallor, were within the Monastery of Fountains; and the former is subsequently described as a messuage, etc., and four closes estimated at 27 acres, surrounded by Bishopside Common. In a. 1740, they were conveyed to uses to secure a loan of 150, with interest, and also 140 (payable, without interest, within forty days after the death of Abigail Ross), and seem to have been sold in a.1742; on these places, see Wakef. Reg., L. 513, OO. 19, PP. 182, QQ 97, 186, 189. It has not been proved that they were at or near Fellbeck; nevertheless ‘Mr. John Ross', the second husband of Abigail Inman, occurs under Felbeck, Bollershaw, and North Pasture in the Calls assigned to a. 1724-1734, 1735-1749 (Studl. MSS., in 6. 39 and 6. 43), having apparently been admitted in a. 1734. A Bishopside Court Roll, under a. 1761, records that Ro. Inman, Oct. 10, a.1721, surrendered a messuage called Sheppard Land, and lands and appts. lying at Collar Stoops, to the use of John Richardson, gent., and Jane, his wife, for life, and then to their issue in tail; this Jane was his daughter, and that this was part of her portion is clear from his Will. The Rolls refer to the purchase under a. 1684, and to the sale by Christopher Richardson [late Surgeon of the Hussar frigate) under a. 1764; the property is also described as ‘Shepperd Land at Collar Stoops in Felbeck in Low Bishopside'. It is not clear that the portion in land of Jane Richardson was all in the Manor of Bishopside, for 'Mr. John Richardson' appears under Felbeck, Bollershaw, and North Pasture in the Fountains Calls dated a. 1 724-1734, 1735-1749 (StudI. MSS., in 6.39 and 6.43); Collar Stoop is close to North Pasture House.
   The (A) copies [from Deeds] at Wakefield Reg., the (B) Feet of Fines, the (C) Appletreewick Court Rolls, a (D) Hailstone MS., a (E) Close Roll for 4 George I., and the Wills (F); of Christopher Lowson, and (G) of Ro. Inman, shew that the latter had land and interests in land in divers places; the following notices have occurred.
   a. 1695. Gift to him of land, and interest in land in Appletreewick, Stonebeck Up (and ? elsewhere), subject to payment 400 thereout. F.
   a.1695/6. Conveyance of property in Beamsley, Nesfield, and Sigsworth (par. Kirkrby Ma1zeard); literally, a conveyance of some real estate to him and his heirs. B.
   a. 1695/6. Sale by him, his wife, and others of lands, etc., in Parcivall and Appletreewick [the house, Percival Hall, is in A. township]. B.
   a. 1699, 1717. Dealings re the Manor of Temple Douskarr, in the North Riding, the encumbered property of his wife’s brother-in-law; his interest seems to have been for a loan of 200, advanced c. a. 1699, and repaid in a 1717. He had endorsed one Deed, Brother Atkinson’s security to mee concerning the 200; he also acted on behalf of his wife’s sister in a. 1690. D. E.
   a
. 1708/9. His sale, as it seems, of property in Skirethornes and Threshfield, par. Linton. A.
   a. 1716/7. His sale, as it seems, of property in Stean [? in Stonebeck Down] for 64; entailed by Christopher Lowson, as it seems. A.
   a. 1719. Sale by him, his wife and son of' property in Stonebeck Up; entailed by Christopher Lowson, as it seems. A.
   a. 1720-1721. His free tenancy in Appletreewick; he names his gates [gaites] in the pasture there, and his share of the royalties in Hebden. The indefinite notices in his Will of all his other freehold, and all his other lands, etc.; he names Bewerley, Harefie1d, Appletreewick, Hebden (share of the royalties in), and mentions an estate [some or all of which was at Fellbeck]. C.G.
   Robert Inman had lands, etc. within the Manor of Bishopside, in addition to the estate, wholly or partly there, which has been noticed under Fellbeck; see the Bishopside Court Rolls at a 1701, 1710, 1711, 1712, 1716 1722. Under a. 1710, 1711, 1712, he seems to convey small quantities of land; most, or all of them, apparently, were in or near Pateley Bridge. At a. 1701, he has a mortgage; at a. 1710, houses and land, etc., in High and Low Bishopside, are conveyed to him, and, at a, 1716, Intack Close in Bishopside. He seems to have held the latter, and part of the conveyance of a. 1710, at his death; the inquisition thereon (under a. 1722) records that he was seised of a messuage, and appts., in High and Low Bishopside, of a barn, Walker Wife als. Baile Close, Wood Close, and Intack Close, with appts.
   On May 26, a. 1719, a settlement of lands was made by Ro., Inman, prior to, and with regard to, his son’s marriage to Mary Whitfield, widow; possibly this included HAREFIELD, that freehold estate which had been held before the death (a. 1690/1) of Michael Inman, and which was in the tow, but not in the Manor of Bishopside..


[Generation 1] [Generation 2] [Generation 3] [Generation 4]
[Generation 6] [Generation 7] [Generation 8] [Generation 9]